What to do when you feel sad/overwhelmed


Article by Laoura.
Find her on Instagram: @lalou_moon


Lately, I've been struggling with many areas in my life. I have so many things to study in college, and I still want to find time to do a little workout, spent some time with my friends and family, maybe even get out. But the thing is that I don't always manage to do all of these and end up being sad, frustrated, exhausted and feeling lonely. If you ever feel the same way, here are some of my tips to help you feel better and see the sunny side of your life again!

1. Take a break


This one is obvious. That's what everyone tells you when you're about to be burnt-out, right? Well, it works for saddness and depression too! Wehn it comes to work, I know that in my case, some 20 minutes aren't enough, and if I can, I really need to take the rest of the day off, or even the next one. And when it comes to being sad, you really need to change your mind and to take a break from your state of mind!



Do something you enjoy and that helps you to get your mind off everything. It really does help to ressource yourself and get back stronger! Take a bath, read a book, watch your favourite TV show of the moment!



Just remember that you deserve to rest and to take a little time for yourself! You should never be waisting your mental health over anything or anyone! Whoever cares for you would tell you the same, and you will only get stronger and more efficient in your work!

2. Write a letter


Talking to someone can make us feel better, but sometimes, it can be hard to find the right person. Your friends and family can be just in the same state is you are and be too busy to really dedicate time and attention for you. That's why writing a letter could be very helpful.



It doesn't matter to who and you don't need to send it! I promise, it will instantly make you feel better. You could write it to a friend, to your teacher, to some celebrity or to a fictional character. Write about how you are feeling and and all that is bothering you. Don't be shy to write down your feelings! Write everything you would have liked to say, about your problems and all that is bothering you. Try to really think about the reasons for your saddness and estate.



If you are not going to send your letters, maybe you could even dedicate a notebook for your letters. Write them all in there and reread them when you feeling like doing so.

3. Sing to sad songs




It has been proven that sad songs make sad people feel better because they feel understood. Some evenings, after a long and hard day or whenever I feel down, I go to my room and turn on my saddest playlist. I listen for a while, but what makes me feel even better is singing to karaoke. You don't have to sing well, so don't restrain yourself! It would be even better if you invite some friends over or if your relatives participate! Trust me, karaoke nights are the best!



Here is a little playlist for you :


· I love you - billie eilish

· Lose you to love me - Selena Gomez

· People you know - Selena Gomez

· Falling - harry styles

· Cherry - Harry Styles

· Supermarket flowers - Ed Sheeran

· Jocelyn Flowers - XXXTENTATION

· The greatest - Lana del Rey

· Hope is a dangerous thing - Lana del Rey


4. Pamper yourself


Do it all! Really! Take a long, deep bath with candles and some chill music. Then style your hair in some new, glamourous way. Exfoliate your skin, then put on a face mask and a deliciously scenting lipbalm or a lip mask.


This is also a good moment to treat yourself with a delicious snack! Make yourself a plate with your favourite fruits, nuts and any other food and relax.



Once ou're completly done with your skincare, apply some makeup! Don't be afraid to overdo it, you're just having fun! Imagine that you're getting ready for a beautiful ball in a castle or for the red carpet!



Apply some primer, foundation. Then do your blush and contouring. Pick you're favourite glimmering eyeshadow and apply your eyeliner! Also, don't forget to fill your brows for a more defined look.



The next step is lipstick. You can go for any colour you want, but I recommend putting the one you wear the less for a change. Put some highliter to shine like you deserve to and finally, have fun with the setting spray!



5. Read a book or watch a movie


The goal here is to pick something that can take you away from your thoughts and cares. Pick something you already know and like or try discovering a brand new story! I like girly lighthearted movies with a beautiful aesthetic and many nice clothes, but you can chose whatever you feel like on that particular moment.




Here are some of my favourite movies :

· The Devil wears Prada

· Clueless

· Confessions of a shopaholic

· Suicid Squad

· Maleficent

· Legally Blond




And a little book selection for you :

· "Love letters to the dead" Ava Dellaira

· "Everything I never told you" Celeste Ng

· "Looking for Alaska" John Green

· "The Devil wears Prada" Lauren Weisberg

· "The book thief" Marcus Zukerberg




6. Take a dip in your childhood


No matter how old you are, no matter how sad or devastated you are, no matter how responsible you're supposed to be, just let yourself turn into a younger version of yourself and have a bit of fun!



Put on some cartoons or movies you loved! I am sure you're familiar with the Totally Spies, Scooby-Doo series, or at least one of the Barbie movies. Just make yourself comfortable in your bed and enjoy!



Or maybe you could read some diairies you wrote in when you were 6 years old! There must be some sweet and funny memories to lighten up your mood and remind you of the child you used to be!



Also, if you had an activity you really enjoyed when you were a kid, you could try doing it again! You could draw, write some short stories, dance or do whatever you liked as a child. I personnally enjoyed drawing characters, imagining their outfits and when I feel depressed and if I have a little bit of time, I sit in my room and draw just like I used to. It reminds me of the strong and brave little girl I used to be and I kind of find myself again.

7. Read poetry


There are so many different poets and styles that you can find on the Internet or in your local libraries. I am sure some will definetly talk to you. I promise, you will take such a pleasure reading verses full of the pretiest feelings and words! Also, you will become more educated in such a pleasant way! You can even randomnly read some verses to your family or friends if you have some occasions.



My most favourite poet of all time is definetly Oscar Wilde. He just seems to get the world in the most exquisite way, like no one else does, but that talks to me so much!



You can also try writing your own poems! Find inspiration all around you, in your past, you present and your future! Try feeling the world with your heart, don't see it with your mind.



These were some of my advices to destress, lift your mood, erase your saddness. I hope that you never need these, but if you do, I am sure these activities will help! I send you all lots of love and have the greatest day!

Comments

Also Check