Tips for how to show mom – and anyone else you love

One thing I've learned in life is that people often use holidays to show extra care and attention to the ones to whom the holiday is centered; mother's day and father's day for example, because its tradition and we're taught that.

However, I often try to remind myself during those times of the month how I can and should show everyone I love care and attention throughout the year, rather than just on one day.
My inbox has been filling with lots of mother's day themed emails, so I figured I'd sit down and meditate on how I can show my mom and other people in my life love and appreciation each and every day.


My apologies to anyone whose mother has passed away, or to anyone I'm leaving out who happens to not have a "mother"; these tips are meant to help with showing loving care to anyone who matters in our life, so I hope you find what's written helpful should you choose to read this!

1. Say Thank you


Anyone we care about in our life--mother, father, friend--has shown us loving care in some way or another throughout the time we've had a relationship with them. Just the words thank you, for no particular reason except to say it, can go a long way in reminding someone that you're grateful they are in your life.

2. Express your gratitude


Saying thank you with your lips is excellent, however, should you choose to express it in other forms, here are some ideas I've come up with;

Treat the one you love to breakfast/lunch/dinner

Write a card just to say thank you and include why you're thankful and why you love them. Even a text message!

Buy some flowers

Buy something you know they personally would appreciate because you know they have an affinity for it-- such as chocolate if one loves chocolate, or a special notebook if one loves to write.

Make them something--a poem, a short story, a drawing, or a hand made a gift.

3. Listen


I know it seems simple, but I read once in a psychology magazine that more often than not when someone is speaking to us our brains begin thinking about what we're going to say in response before that person is even done speaking.


Since reading that I have caught myself doing it so many times! While not necessarily a bad thing, it does demonstrate that listening and responding would be more effective if we waited until we had all the facts, rather than wanting to converse so much we might not have fully heard what was said.

Often I make an effort to file away little things I learn about people as they're mentioned in conversation. That way, when I want to show them appreciation, I know in advance what I can do or say to make them feel extra special.


I also ask questions about things they've mentioned in the past or make an effort to remember something they said they would do when last I saw them so that I can show I care by checking back in.

4. Be helpful


I'm sure you often do things for people that you love-- maybe you take out the trash at home, or you shop with your friends, so none of you have to go alone. However, make an effort to be extra helpful to show appreciation.

Maybe your friend mentioned they needed something via text message and you're heading in that direction--why not pick it up for them?

Maybe your parent doesn't want to cook dinner, or you don't, so you pick up a meal for everyone.

Think of small things you can do to be helpful that could still make a significant impact.

5. Make a point of expressing interest in them.


Sometimes, we get so comfortable with people that we rely on them to share about their lives without being asked, or we talk without making an effort to make sure there's an exchange in conversation, thoughts, and ideas.

So take a special interest--

Ask them how they are

If you know they had an appointment or a test, ask them how it went.

Take them somewhere you know they've been wanting to explore, or find out a place they have wanted to go.

Give them the chance to share their thoughts and feelings by reminding them you care not just in deed, but in word and in your conversations.


Comments

Also Check